Questions on EBWs and EMs

Electron beam welders (EBW) and electron microscopes (EM) utilize beams
of electrons which also generate byproduct x-rays. The US Food & Drug
Administration (FDA) regulates the manufacturer of these devices, but it
seems that regulation of their use varies from state to state.

I have some questions about EBWs and EMs that I hope other RADSAFERs may
have answers for:
1. What dose rates have you seen external to these devices?
2. Does your state require that you register the devices with them?
3. Are the devices posted in any way?
4. Are the devices periodically surveyed?
5. Is any training required for the operators or maintenance personnel?
6. What are the reference citations for your state's regulations
covering these devices?

Bruce Pickett
bruce.d.pickett@boeing.com