Ecological Inference

Professor Field, the BEIR VI committee, and Greenland and Morgenstern
might profit from reading Gary King's book, _A Solution to the
Ecological Inference Problem: Reconstructing Individual Behavior from
Aggregate Data_, Princeton University Press, 1997.  King, a professor
of government at Harvard University, received the American Political
Science Association's Gosnell Award for the "best methodological work
in political science in 1995-96" for the work described in his book.

Actually, I am told that the bulk of the BEIR VI committee deferred to
the three epidemiologists with regard to Cohen's study and that the
report considers Cohen's study and others in an appendix, but does not
contain any substantive refutation of the study, but rather just a
restatement of the epidemiologist's assertion that it is flawed.  That
characterization is hearsay, since I have not seen the full report (I
can't decide whether to pop for the $45 or so the NAS is charging).

Ecological inference is an example of what mathematicians call an
inverse problem.  Inverse problems are usually ill-posed and require
additional regularizing assumptions to enable a unique solution.
Although difficult to solve, inverse problems are important in a wide
variety of applications, and are routinely solved in those areas:
tomography, seismography, certain types of non-destructive examination
techniques in materials science, and maximum likelihood estimation in
statistics.  Rather than use the information in large ecological data
sets, some epidemiologists prefer to chant "It's only an ecological
study, therefore we don't have to ...".

I'll be happy to email anyone interested a preprint of the review I
wrote of King's book, which appeared in the November 1997 issue of
Health Physics.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
js_dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.