Re: Hanford Cleanup Strategy

<< I
 find it incredulous that our national leaders are willing to
 spend 85 Billion dollars (that's with a B, a big B) to clean
 up Hanford. >>

Here is a point I have tried to make in various forums with little success. I
will apply it to Hanford, mention it here on radsafe, and see what happens:

Presumably, the $85,000,000,000 (or whatever number it turns out to be) that
we may spend to "clean up Hanford" ultimately is for the purpose of preventing
future cancer deaths.  If one takes the optimistic point of view (which I
usually do and think is appropriate here) that medical science will find a
cure for most if not all cancers within the next century or two, is spending
this $85,000,000,000 in the next few decades a smart thing to do?

Bob Cherry
bobcherry@aol.com