Re: Technician Crosstrain

<<  That said, have any of ya'll experienced the same or similar
 problem and if so how have you tackled it?  >>

Sounds like the Navy Nuclear program. I like to say to my commercial co-
workers that as an ELT we did almost every job at a nuc plant... ops,
chemistry, HP, maint, B&G, painter, security, yada yada yada.

 It surprised me just how compartmentalized I found the commercial biz after
my Navy experience. Three HP departments? We had three _guys_ that did all
that stuff and more (granted, smaller scale, different environment.) But, I
have never worked 52 hours in a row without sleeping in the commercial biz,
either!

I agree that the price for all that diversity is skill dilution. If I were in
the enviable position of having a full-time house position at a utility,
though, I would welcome the opportunity to set myself apart from the rest by
diversifying my skills. The best kind of job security- increasing your skills
to make yourself a more valuable employee. Maybe they should have initiated
the crosstraining before the layoff and layed off  those who could not do it.

You can always become a road tech!

Charles Migliore
Chasmig@aol.com