Question regarding transfer of a generally licensed RAM

A few years ago, we received a device which contained 300 mCi of H-3.
We were not allowed to receive directly from the doner because the
donating company did not possess a general license to (manufacture)
distribute. I was a bit confused about that because I thought they could
send it directly to us. The instrument was sent to
the original manufacturer and we received from the manuacturer.

We are about to receive an EC detector (head assembly only) and we have
RAM license to possess this instrument. Can an end-user donate
this instrument directly to us without a (distribution) license?
So far everyone I spoke have stated YES. I want to be certain to
protect this doner. Regulations I read did not make real clear to
me. After completion of my data collection, I plan to approach our
regulators. All comments regarding this subject will be appreciated.
Thanks. M. Jo

Myung Chul Jo, RSO <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
EH&S/MS 328
University of Nevada, Reno