Re[2]: Long term effects from ionizing radiation

Let me add to what Emelie Lamothe said, and add a small correction:  American
Nuclear Society does have a Women's Committee, but it is not a separate
organization.  I would guess that Kim Kearfott (are you out there, Kim?) is
probably a good source of information.

If it's of any help:  during my first pregnancy I took data in the nuclear
physics lab -- we worked around the clock til the liquid He ran out.  I was also
incidentally exposed to a veritable miasma of PCB vapors in the electronics lab
as we routinely (accidentally) burned out components.  During my second and
third pregnancies I set up and taught the radiochemistry lab, and was in charge
of the isotope vault.  I also did my dissertation work using a Co-60 source to
irradiate crystals, and worked with tritiated glycine.  All four of my children
(now grown) are (and were) normal and healthy.  One has a minor hereditary
genetic defect that I can trace through four generations of my family, so I am
certain it is not due to any exposure.  I might add that my thesis professor,
who worked on the Manhattan Project at Los Alamos, as well as all his graduate
students (most of them men) all had three or four children, all of whom were
healthy and normal.

Clearly only my own opinion

Ruth Weiner
Sandia National Laboratories