Re: RADSAFE digest 1782, S-35

Richard Smart  ASKED:
Question:  What is the possibility of significant activities of S-35 being
released into the air within the oven?
Question:  What is the possibility of the other culture plates taking up
any of the released S-35?

Based on my own experience, I would say very little.  There is some
natural decomposition which may result in the release of methanethiol
which is volatile.  Some bacteria have enzymatic activities to
release this substance from methionine, but I am not aware that
tissue culture cells have a comparable activity.  It would seem that
any release would be difficult to detect and not contribute
significantly to background.  Essentially all the methionine would be
used for protein synthesis.
   Others may have other knowledge;  this is my best educated guess.

HANDBELL PEOPLE have all gone campan-

David F. Gilmore
Assistant Professor of Environmental Biology
P.O. Box 599, Dept. of Biological Sciences
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
dgilmore@navajo.astate.edu
ph  870-972-3082    fax 870-972-2638