Re: radiotherapy question

> Subject: radiotherapy question
>

> It has recently come to my attention that when a patient is undergoing
> radiotherapy for breast cancer they are instructed to not use any
> commercial deodorants.  I have some speculations as to why but can
> anyone give me a definitive reason why?

As far as mammograms go, I was informed by the technologist that the
raeson not to use talcum powder or deodorants is because there are trace
metals like aluminum (and zinc) that will show up as specks on the X-ray.
It is hard for the radiologist to distinguish these from actual
(tiny) lumps.
The technologist told me about an actual case where this happened and the
patient was all upset till the radiologist later determined that it was
due to the talcum powder.

I do not know if this is the correct explanation, but thats what I was
told.

Ninni Jacob