Re: 10 Day Rule

In our shop the 10-day rule is used only for elective
procedures, such as followup studies or employment
physicals.  It is occasionally used for some high-dose
nuclear medicine procedures.  We have always felt that
management of current illness should take precedence over
risk to a potentially-present embryo.
Another factor in the demise of the 10-day rule is the
observation years ago that the maturing follicle is a very
sensitive stage of oogenesis.  Thus the ovum just before
fertilization is sensitive, perhaps as much as the early
embryo.

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670 Email:s.julian.gibbs@Vanderbilt.Edu