High count with LSCh

Hello safety netters

I have this question regarding high count rate with the liquid
scintillation counter.  Whenever a sample of oil vacuum pump of
anccelerator is counted I get high count rate with initial count.
However, when the sample is counted again latter on, the response is
numerical value, and the value keep decreasing when counted repeatedly
over time until stalbilizes latter on like 24 hours latter.  The same
thing occurred when counting saliva samples.  I was wondering if any of
you could give an explanation for this situation either from past
experience or an educated guess.  Your help is very much appreciated.
Thanks.

Mahmoud Haleem
KFUPM
P.O.Box 1061