Re: Canadians reject nuclear disposal

Sandy's item concerning deep geological disposal again highlights the
need for public education on this issue.  With the opening of the
WIPP (Waste  Isolation Pilot Plant) still subject to EPA
certification and Yucca mountain still under review we all need to
assess our views on such disposal.

We have other facilities to look at that have been in operation for
over 20 years - specifically the German sites of Morsleben and Herfa.
 Both sites already have waste on site. While Morsleben was
originally designed to  accept powerplant and research
waste from the former East Germany, it now accepts low
and intermediate-level radioactive waste.  The Herfa facility was
designated to accept  chemically hazardous waste and still is
handling waste that originated in either the chemical or
metallurigical industries.

A look at current waste storage facilities in this country may
influence the discussion.  Approximately 53 million people are living
within 50-100 miles of the stockpiled radioactive waste.  Deep
geologic disposal would reduce this number to around 100,000  people
at the 50 mile range.  However, this brings the concern of
transportation into the public mind.

Please log on several of the websites which discuss transportation
options for a look for yourself.

What do you think of the sites currently under discussion for
operation in this country?  Let's discuss this issue.

Note:  These are my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect
those of my employer.

Thanks,

James H. Ogden, Jr., Emergency Planner
WIPP Transportation Project