Re: Federal Guidance Report No 13

     Jesse Coleman said:

"Assuming a 75.2 year life span, we get a lifetime probability of
cancer mortality of 0.0031.  This means that if a million Denver
residents (new borns anyway) would move ASAP to Boston, 3,100 fatal
cancers could be averted.  This is clearly worthwhile.  Therefore,
the EPA's numbers indicate that
DENVER SHOULD BE EVACUATED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Or maybe this application of the LNT theory should be examined."

OH NO!!! I was born in Denver, and now live in western Colorado (where lots of
uranium was mined and is still in the soil). My daughter attends college north
of Denver. I never knew I lived in such mortal danger. Maybe I should move to
California; no danger there, huh? (No flames please, no insult to those
California RADSAFERS intended.)

Nothing the EPA comes up with any more surprises me much, so please, Jesse,
don't suggest this to them. ;-) Personally, I am one of those who doesn't
believe that the LNT is valid in the low dose region, and I have also seen
cancer statistics that show that the overall cancer mortality is lower in
Colorado than most low-altitude states. Of course, that's probably another
environmental study with no validity?!? Hey, maybe we can get lots of federal
dollars to do an epidemiological study on the "healthy location effect." Just a
thought...

Steven D. Rima, CHP
Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
MACTEC-ERS, LLC
steven.rima@doegjpo.com

My musings only, I'd not ask anyone else to claim them.