Re: SI-units for radiation and activity

Ing. A. Klerk wrote:

> Most Americans still use the old radiation units
> as if the INTERNATIONAL standards do not exist! And I found out why: NIST
> has a pity on you, because they find it is far too difficult for you to
> change to the new units, so you people from the US of A may use the old
> units as the sole persons on this world!

Hi all

In the UK we use both, although I think there's a law that says we must
use SI units.

At our hospital all unsealed radiotherapy and brachytherapy doses are
prescribed by the medics in mCi quantities. Also our Chief Tech uses mCi
and I use MBq - we get by. When I tried to get her to change she said.
Look Amersham deal in mCi - therefore I order from them in mCi - nuff
said I suppose. You get a feel for both.

Also I was brought up on mR but my colleagues use mGy - again we get by.

In general the British are used to handling multiple units for similar
things. I buy my pre-packed food by the gram, but my fresh food by the
pound. I buy my petrol in litres yet my beer in pints. (incidentally the
units that maggots - for fishing, and prawns - for eating are dispensed
in is also pints!)

Cheers

Andy Hancock
Charing Cross Hospital