Re: One pound of Plutonium -Reply

You pose a very good question regarding the application of a threshold, but
before addressing the question one needs to recognize that the response
curve is different for different end points.  That, of course is why we have
different risk coefficients for different cancers and both deterministic and
nondeterministic effects.

As I pointed out in my Hartman lecture, radiation response (all end points
combined) is likely to be Gompertzian (ie sigmoidal).  If we consider only
low level nondeterministic effects, why not use the LNT realizing in the
process that it is a conservative approach in that it overestimates the
risk, but also have a lower level 'de minimis' risk based cutoff below which
we do not regulate.  For my money, this de minimis risk level could be on
the order of 10E-6 to 10E-5 per year, which over a lifetime of 70 years and
not considering or adjusting for any latency period, would give a total
lifetime risk of 7 in 10,000 (0.0007) to 7 in 1,000 (0.007).

I am preparing for the onslaught of responses that the above is sure to
generate.

Ron Kathren (AKA as "and all"?)