Re: When does "rem" no longer apply?

I suppose that if you want to be totally politically
correct, the rem (along with rad, roentgen, curie, etc.)
are now obsolete units.  However, a whole bunch of us
diehards grew up thinking in these old units; we are having
much difficulty converting.  I'm trying.  I write (and
teach) in grays, sieverts, becquerels, etc., but still
think in the rad, rem, and curie.
Seriously, we Americans are the subject of international
ridicule because of our refusal to adopt SI units.  I guess
we have to.  I just wish the powers that be would find
something better to do than to dream up new units.
S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670 Email:s.julian.gibbs@Vanderbilt.Edu