Re[2]: When does "rem" no longer apply?

     John,

     I assume you mean when do you use dose equivalent versus absorbed
     dose.  Dose equivalent, as I understand it, is to be used for "low
     doses and low dose rates."  I assume that this is because the quality
     factors are based on fatal cancer induction as an endpoint.  For acute
     doses and high dose rates, deterministic effects are of more concern
     and so the quality factors are not quite appropriate. I have not found
     a reference to cite, but there must be an ICRU document that defines
     this.  There may not even be a definite cutoff limit.

     Good luck and let me know if you find a definitive reference.

     Jerry Falo
     jer3ry@aol.com