RE: AECL Whiteshell

The AECL Whiteshell layoffs are, unfortunately, not an April Fools joke.
They are the result of Federal Government funding cuts, initiated a
couple of years ago. Efforts to privatize some activities at Whiteshell
have not yet been successful, and the time ran out on funding.

AECL Chalk River Laboratories have also had their Federal funding
reduced, and we are currently going through layoffs at the Chalk River
site also.  I don't know at this time how many people have been laid off
at Chalk River, and further staff reductions may be necessary if we are
faced with additional reductions in research funding from other
agencies.

None of these layoffs are a direct result of the assessment of the long
term waste disposal plan.

Sara M. Carlisle
Radiation Biology and Health Physics Branch
AECL, Chalk River Laboratories
Chalk River, ON K0J 1J0
Canada

phone (613) 584-8811 extn 3667