DNA stuff

 denison.8@osu.edu (Eric Denison) wrote:
>t the acids with the greatest number of
codon triplets are the most common and/or the most important to promote
folding of the protein into its proper three-dimensional shape.  In many
cases, changing one amino acid in a protein can make that protein
non-functional.*  It makes sense, then, that there is a redundant system
for getting these critical amino acids into their proper places in the
proteins.
              etc.>

Yes, what Eric said.
Also, unless I missed a deeper point, this comment on double strand
vs single strand breaks.
In a single strand break, the bases in the area are just clipped out,
and since then template strand is still there intact, complementary
bases are just filled in and the DNA backbone re-ligated and repair
is done.  In a double stranded break, I don;t know what the repair
mechanism is.  I guess you have to hope that the protein scaffold is
holding the ends right next to each other, but even then, I don;t
know what the enzymology is.  The short answer, then, is that there
are repair mechanisms for single strand breaks but there may not be
any for double strand breaks.

HANDBELL PEOPLE have all gone campan-

David F. Gilmore
Assistant Professor of Environmental Biology
P.O. Box 599, Dept. of Biological Sciences
Arkansas State University
State University, AR 72467
dgilmore@navajo.astate.edu
ph  870-972-3082    fax 870-972-2638