Re: Chemical Form of Strontium Sources

To my knowledge, Strontium Titanate was developed at the US Naval Radiological
Defense Laboratory in San Francisco, CA during the early 60s. Its purpose was to
power SNAP (Systems for Nuclear Auxillary Power) sources used in weather equipment
air dropped in the arctic and underwater listening devices (brought to popular
attention in the 80s with the publication of Hunt for Red October).

The advantage of strontium titanate is its extremely low solubility product. This
was designed to pass through an organism with a probability of only one or two
atoms of Sr-90 being absorbed.

Michael A. Kay, ScD, CHMM
Student Trainee Chemistry, USNRDL 1960 - 1965