RE: Outdoor Rn measurements (background)

Radon levels outdoors are generally higher in fall and early winter and
lowest in spring.  The reason is the degree turbulent transfer.  Some
regions have little annual variation.  Higher values are seen in winter
when strong inversions occur, in spite of the lower release from frozen
soil.  There are numerous references for these effects and the many
measurements that have been performed.  Two are United Nations scientific
Committee of the effects of Atomic radiation, Sources and Effects of
Ionizing radiation, Report to the General Assembly with Annexes, United
Nations, New Yourk (1977) and Environmental Radon by C. Richard Cothern and
James E. Smith, Jr., Plenum Press, New York (1987).

Indoor radon follows the same pattern but because of closed house
conditions.  In some climates closed house conditions occur in summer.

Joe Alvarez
Auxier & Associates
10317 Technology Dr., Suite 1
Knoxville, TN 37932