RE: Outdoor Rn measurements (background)

What Andy says is true.  This has been observed in a number of places.
 There are also diural manifestations of Rn increases caused by wind
direction.  Of particular intersest, Rn emission is practically
non-existant from bodies of water, but Rn levels over bodies of water are
wind direction dependent.  Nevertheless, the usual (most parts of the
world) explanation for seasonal variations have to do with mixing depth of
the local atmosphere.  The mixing depth effect is affected by, but not
usually dominated by, other weather conditions such as rainfall, snowcover,
wind direction, temperature, and soil moisture.  There many exceptions to
the generalization.

The NRC document claiming summer to be higher than winter is quite unusual.

Joe Alvarez
Auxier & Associates
10317 Technology Dr. Suite 1
Knoxville, TN 37932