Re: measuring devices

Jean-Charles:

You might try the manufacturers of scrap monitoring systems, especially if
the decommissioning involves larger masses (barrels to cut up plate and
structural).   These systems have the ability to detect gamma,
bremsstrahlung from beta (at a reasonably high beta flux), and neutrons.
They will not detect beta itself or alpha.   The sensitivities are capable
in some to detect down to a few Bq/g, provided the mass is large (few
tons).   Obviously, increasing the concentration would permit detection in
smaller masses.   These systems operate automatically and have been
designed to monitor trucks and rail cars.   The algorithms follow
background, subtract background, run statistical tests on the data and take
into account the reduction in background caused by the vehicle.   I am not
sure where you are located, but the manufacturers that I am familiar with
that sell internationally are listed below.   Their phone numbers are:

Bicron  (800-472-5656)
Eberline (505-471-3232)
Exploranium (905-712-3100)
Ludlum (800-622-0828)