Re: The Friendly Atom -Reply

Just a few cents of comment regarding the relative risks of nuclear
power.

The risk stated is for a level of exposure far greater than that the general
public can expect to see.  I believe the limit to the public from the entire
fuel cycle is 25mR/year.  That changes the risk numbers substantially.
When you compare that risk value to the risk value associated with living
down wind of a fossil fuel plant, even co-gen, the comparison changes
from parking in unlit lot where 1 in 10 cars is broken into to parking in a
well lit lot TO parking in a well lit garage with security guards and
cameras !

We should do more to put the relative risk into those types of
perspectives.   The changes that we are seeing in the perception of
nuclear power as a result of Kyoto and global warming indicates that the
American public is willing to make informed judgements when both sides
are portrayed by credible groups.

My humble opinion

Ron LaVera