Subject: Road kill sampling method: -Reply
Author:  MFORD@pantex.com at Mailhub
Date:    4/13/98 11:47 AM

Mark,

The Savannah River Site holds (or used to hold) an annual deer
hunt (more like a harvest) to cull the deer population to a
sustainable size.  There's not much sport to it... really just a blast
fest, but the desired result is achieved.  A few feral hogs got in the
way also.

The deer are field-dressed on site and monitored for Cs-137 content
before being released.  I believe SRS's environmental sampling
group may also participate in this activity.

Interestingly enough, it was found that Cs-137 concentrations were
relatively constant throughout most of the deer populations in the
Southeast and largely attributable to fallout.  Not SRS operations.

Perhaps an SRS RADSAFEr could provide a more recent picture.
My opinions only.
v/r
Michael
*************************