Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:26:56 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
From: Iain Birchall <iainb@cancerboard.AB.ca>
To: "chris davey (phy-cci)" <chrisdav@mailserv.CANCERBoard.ab.ca>
Cc: "alexandra schepansky (gyn-cci)" <alexsche@mailserv.CANCERBoard.ab.ca>
Subject: Radiation risk to 20 week pregnancy

Dear Chris: I was asked yesterday to consider the case of a
young woman currently 20 weeks pregnant with a compelling
need for a thorax CT. She is a patient of Alex Schepansky
and it is unlikely that we could get the level of info
required for management without such CT.

Nevertheless I would be grateful for information in the
following respects in order that the patient can be fully
informed of the risks involved

CT Scan whole thorax, 10 mm collimation, 30 cm range. The
KV = approx 130, mA 150

20 week pregnancy presumed of normal size

what are the risks to patient & baby of such a scan

We recognize that it is likely the risks will be low but
would appreciate some "quantification".

We would like to proceed with CT approx 22 April so a rapid
response would be appreciated.

Iain Birchall
iainb@cancerboard.ab.ca