Field Pu Characterizations

My fellow RADSAFE colleagues --

While we're talking about field Pu determinations,
I'd like to see if any of you could share any insights
regarding accident and post-accident
assessments. My questions are:

1)	What instrumentation is available to detect
Pu-238 and/or Pu-239 in air at concentrations
which would result in a dose of 1 rem TEDE during
plume passage? For the sake of argument, I would
assume exposure time to be one (1) hour.
Instrumentation could include continuous monitors
or grab (i.e. sample then analyze) systems.

2)	Can anyone give me a feel for the amount of
time (acres or square miles per day, etc.) it might
require to adequately characterize large land areas
to determine the presence or absence of Pu-238
and/or Pu-239 at concentrations equivalent to the
EPA Protective Action Guides for ingestion and
relocation? What technologies, other than sampling
and analysis, might one employ in assessing such a
situation?

Unless you feel that the rest of the RADSAFE
community would like to hear about this, please feel
free to respond directly to me at my e-mail address
below. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division