Re: World must pay for Chernobyl

This whole incident and request is quite disturbing. There are three
important factors to consider:

1. On the one hand, we see the arrogance of the demand itself, and,
the plea for additional funds to build newer technology. Granted, the
incident would never have occurred, if it weren't for the deliberate
mishandling of the incident. However, one must only look at TMI and
notice the same deliberate actions that led to an incident, that
luckily did not evolve to the same levels that Chernobyl did. It
wasn't arrogance in the case of TMI, just poor training, management,
etc. The degree of sophistication in the entire third world, when it
comes to nuclear power, is, to say the least, poor and substandard.
There are other accidents waiting to happen. So in the first factor,
there is arrogance and a demand for the world to help fix a problem
that it had no accountability for.

2. The second factor is the most critical issue to contend with. As
already pointed out, there probably isn't the technology or know how
to not only repair what is already damaged, but none exists to
successfully rebuild new generating capacity. If we sit back, they
will leave what they have, and the Chernobyl will crumble and once
again, contaminate the areas around it, and, other far reaching land
masses. It will be a repeat of the past, but on a smaller scale. They
will rebuild, and, construct new plants. The technology will once
again be poor, and, we will have to live with the knowledge that
other accidents will occur, at a higher probability. What risks are
we willing to accept? Does the advanced technological countrys want
to be part of the solution, or, to suffer from the solution that is
chosen, without our assistance?

3. The third area of concern is the economic positioning of the
region. Without assistance, other countries who have ulterior
motives will jump into assist. The result, a rebuilding of the cold
war. The "natives are restless" is a fact. At some point the
government in the Ukraine will have to put up, or the people will put
down. As I see it, the issue isn't one of technology and $$ only.
It's establishing a sound economic base that will facilitate a
democratic government. The only question remains, does the world want
to be part of the solution, or a cause of the consequences.

I don't know the answer. I am not happy about my tax dollars going to
a corrupt government. As someone else already stated, perhaps those
who fund should take responsibility for the repairs and rebuilding.
The dollars spent should be used and go to companys that are doing
the work. In that scenario, the $$ go back to the originating source,
to some degree. We should NEVER hand over $$ to the government. That
is worse than trying to win the Super Lotto. There is no winner,
accept the corrupt politicians who pocket the loot.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3111

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Homepage:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer