A hunting we will go!

     Folks,

     For the sake of an excavation/remediation project, we are assuming
     that there are 360 pounds of Th-232 buried in a waste pit full of
     other contaminants.  We don't know exactly where in the pit this
     material is or quite how deep.  What we do know is that it may be
     pyrophoric and, we suspect, it is concentrated in one location.

     We would like to find this material before it finds us.  We're
     thinking of using gamma spectroscopy to search for the Ac-228 .991 MeV
     gammas.

     Any advice?  Thanks in advance!

     David Levy
     Health Physicist