Re: Static eliminator in copy machines

David W Lee wrote:

> Mark:
>
>         My reading of 10 CFR 30.71 (Schedule B) indicates that the "exempt"
> quantity for Po-210 is 0.1 microcuries.  What this figure means is that if
> you as a member of the public wished to possess an amount of Po-210 ABOVE
> this amount, you would have to first apply for and receive an NRC license
> which would entail your committing yourself to the applicable radiation
> safety requirements of 10 CFR 20, etc.  Thus, the 0.1 microcurie figure is
> in effect a "licensing activity threshold" value BELOW which you are
> "exempt" from the requirement to have a license and above which you must
> have one.

snip.....

Radsafers,

I would like to make one minor correction to the very good comment by
David Lee.

NRC regulations do not limit the number of exempt quantities a person
may possess without the need for a license. Thus, anyone could receive
multiple containers each containing 0.9 exempt quantities.

For example, Newt Gingrich, having no NRC license, could legally possess
hundreds of bottles each containing 0.099 microcuries of Po-210.

Best regards,
Wes
--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.