RE: ?? Food Irradiation - Help

I just received our internal safety newsletter that includes an article on
food irradiation. It comes from the Univ of Cal at Berkley Wellness Letter,
Volume 14, Issue 6 March 98. The article is generally subtly slanted against
the use of irradiation for meat products except for the section titled, "The
Bigger Picture". The article states:

"Finally, there is the issue of the proliferation of radioactive material in
our environment. There are potentially serious concerns about engineering
safety, transport of radioactive material, production of new isotopes and
waste disposal, as well as the safety of people who work in the food
irradiation industry. The most serious human exposure to the products of
irradiation come not from the food itself but from irradiation plants.
Potential dangers might be accidents and leakage-and enormous cleanup costs
in case of radiation spills."

I have already put a call into our safety department to find out who put
this into the newsletter. I am going to try an get some kind of
response/correction put into our next issue. Apparently, I need to do some
remedial HP training here.

Roger Moroney
Technical Director - External Dosimetry Program
Health Physicist
Mallinckrodt
wrmoroe@mkg.com
314.654.7457 voice