Greta Joy Dicus Speech

Follows is the transcript of Ms. Dicus's speech:

                WHY WE NEED TO HARMONIZE RADIATION
                      PROTECTION REGULATIONS

                         Greta Joy Dicus
                           Commissioner
                          United States
                  Nuclear Regulatory Commission

                              At The
                              1998
              Women in Nuclear Global Annual Meeting
                          Taipei, Taiwan
                          April 24, 1998

No.  S-98-13

INTRODUCTION

     I am delighted to participate in the 1998 WIN Global Annual Meeting.  My
reasons are several.  First, this meeting provides an opportunity to visit
Taiwan whose
nuclear power program is a key component in its energy program, and perhaps
most
important, it is an opportunity to meet old friends and to make new ones.

     This morning, I would like to share with you some thoughts on a challenge
facing
regulators who are responsible for establishing radiological protection
standards and
implementing radiological protection programs.  The challenge is how to
translate our
current knowledge of radiation health effects into regulatory frameworks that
are
protective of workers, the public and the environment and, at the same time,
take
appropriate account of the uncertainties in that knowledge.  To date, in my
opinion, we
have not successfully responded to this challenge.  How this challenge is
resolved and
its ultimate outcomes are matters that will affect virtually everyone working
in the
nuclear field and how nuclear resources may be used in the future.

THE SCIENTIFIC CONTROVERSY

     The bulk of our knowledge about human radiation health effects that forms
the
basis for radiation protection standards is derived from studies of the
survivors of the
atomic bombs that struck Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Other human population groups
that have provided significant data on radiation health effects are certain
medical
patient groups.  It is largely the result of these human studies coupled with
research on
radiation effects on animals and at the cellular level that have led to the
adoption on the
linear, non-threshold (LNT) theory to describe radiation health effects at the
low doses
and dose rates normally encountered by radiation workers and the public.  The
strict
application of that theory at these low levels of exposure is being
challenged.  The
reasons for the challenge are complex.  In the opinion of some, the strict
application of
the LNT theory has lead to unnecessarily conservative radiation protection
standards
particularly for specific purposes such as the decontamination and
decommissioning of
licensed facilities.  One way of obtaining relief from radiation protection
standards that
are viewed as unnecessarily restrictive or overly conservative is to challenge
the theory
underlying the standards.

Agency
(IAEA) and the World Health Organization (WHO)  sponsored an international
conference which was held last November in Seville, Spain.  The conference
title was,
"Low Doses of Ionizing Radiation: Biological Effects and Regulatory Control."
More
than 600 persons registered for this meeting.  It was the first time that
scientists and
regulators had met to jointly discuss the issue.

     The conference was also held in cooperation with the United Nations
Scientific
Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR).  The conference was
opened by Dr. Hans  Blix, IAEA Director General and by Dr. Hiroshi Nakajima,
WHO
Director General.

     There are uncertainties about the radiation health effects that are
associated
with the radiation dose and dose rate levels that we regulate because, with
the possible
exception of fetal radiation effects, radiation health effects in humans at
these low
levels have not been clearly demonstrated.  As a result, an assumption must be
made
for the extrapolation from radiation health effects observed at high radiation
levels to
radiation health effects that may occur at low radiation levels in order to
formulate a
radiological protection system.  This assumption is that there is a linear,
non-threshold
relationship between radiation and health effects at low doses and dose rates.

     There is some evidence of a threshold and possibly for an hormesis effect
for
selected biological media and selected radiation effects at low levels of
radiation.  But
such evidence, frankly, must become overwhelming and be demonstrated in humans
before there will be serious consideration to moving away from the current LNT
assumptions that underlie the present radiation protection framework.
Further, while
their views are not widely accepted, there are also scientists who believe
that there is
evidence that radiation health effects at low doses and dose rates are
underestimated
by the LNT assumption.

     A variety of views were expressed during the course of this conference
but the
discussions did not lead to resolution of  the current controversies over the
appropriateness of using the linear, non-threshold (LNT) model that underlies
present
ICRP recommendations and regulatory radiation protection programs.  While no
consensus was reached at the end of the Seville conference, the prevailing
view was
probably best expressed by Dr. Sheldon Wolff of the Radiation Effects Research
Foundation who said in the closing session  that data on hormesis effects must
be
convincingly positive before changes to theories underlying radiation
protection
recommendations could be made, otherwise, "we are dealing with religion, not
science."

     Nonetheless, the conference discussions were useful because they showed
why
it has proven to be very challenging to translate our knowledge of radiation
health
effects into a regulatory framework that is protective of workers, the public
and the
environment and, at the same time, takes into account the uncertainties about
that
knowledge and the resulting need to make assumptions to construct a radiation
protection system.  The challenge is complicated by the fact that many of the
recommended dose limits and constraint levels that are thus derived are
comparable to
or smaller than background radiation levels.

     It should, therefore, not be surprising that policy makers responsible for
establishing ionizing radiation protection regulations have not always followed
international standards recommended by scientific expert bodies such as the
ICRP and
those recommended by national scientific expert bodies such as the NCRP in the
United States.  The unfortunate result in some cases is a patchwork quilt of
radiation
protection requirements that often conflict with each other.  Most important,
it is a
situation that does not engender public confidence in our scientists and in
our policy
makers.

     I cannot defend a framework that results in a failure to develop
consistent
radiological standards.  For example, in the United States, not only have we
not
adopted the ICRP's latest recommendations for standards as found in ICRP-60,
to be
consistent with international recommendations, but we are even inconsistent
within our
borders due to conflicting standards among our Federal agencies.

     When seen in this light, it becomes apparent that what is lacking in the
United
States is an effective means of attaining and assuring harmonization of
radiation
protection standards at a National level.

THE NEED FOR HARMONIZATION OF RADIATION PROTECTION STANDARDS

     I am personally in favor of a National commitment in the United States to
more
closely follow the recommendations of the ICRP.  Such national commitments are
not
without precedent.  Members of the European Union are expected to adopt
radiological
protection standards which follow those contained in the IAEA Basic Safety
Standard
(BSS) by May 13, 2000.  The IAEA Basic Safety Standards, of course, is based
upon
ICRP recommendations.

     The ICRP recommendations, in contrast to the fragmented, piecemeal
statutory
approach currently in place in the United States, constitutes a coherent
system for
radiological protection.  It includes appropriate cautions and warnings that
help guard
against slavish application of radiation protection recommendations
independent of the
origin and the purpose of the radiation source, the assumed risk of the
radiation relative
to that from background radiation and the costs to mediate the assumed risks.
As Dr.
Roger Clarke, ICRP Chairman, demonstrated in comments made at the Seville
conference, it is flexible enough to address emerging challenges such as how
to deal
with standards applicable to decontamination and decommissioning of nuclear
facilities.

     With national and international harmonization of radiation protection
standards
will come, in due time, greater confidence of the public in our national
regulatory
programs.

     While harmonization will help to address part of the challenge facing the
current
regulatory frameworks,  the overriding issue of the LNT controversy needs
attention.
Let me suggest a possible path forward on this matter.

JOINT U.S. - RUSSIA  RADIATION HEALTH EFFECTS RESEARCH

     After becoming an NRC Commissioner, I was appointed as the NRC's
representative to the Joint Coordinating Committee for Radiation Effects
Research
(JCCRER), a U.S. - Russian endeavor to coordinate joint government-sponsored
radiation health effects research.  While this research will include both U.S.
and
Russian populations, it is primarily focussed on workers and populations in
the southern
Urals area of Russia where the Russian nuclear weapons manufacturing center,
Mayak
is located.  As a result of early operational practices and some accidents at
Mayak,
workers at the plant and populations around the site were exposed to unusually
large
amounts of radiation and radioactive materials.  In many cases, the doses were
comparable to those received by survivors of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic
bombings.  A significant difference is that the exposures of the Mayak workers
and
populations were protracted - in many cases extending over many years - in
contrast to
the doses received by atom bomb survivors.  Thus, there is a unique
opportunity not
only to gain additional insights into radiation health effects by studying the
Mayak
groups but to also learn more about radiation health effects at protracted
exposure
rates.

     In addition, many of the workers and significant numbers of the
surrounding
population ingested radioactive materials in amounts large enough to result in
significant internal doses and, in some cases, radiation health effects not
seen in
western radiation workers.  For some workers, both internal and external doses
were
significant.   The worker population, in contrast to US radiation worker
populations,
includes a large number of women as well as men.  These are examples of other
aspects that have the potential to provide further insights into radiation
health effects in
humans.

     Underlying this are the extensive health records for the workers
maintained by
the Russian government since the beginning of operations of the Mayak plant.
Health
records also exist for many members of the surrounding population who were
exposed
to radiation as a result of operations and accidents at the Mayak complex.
While dose
reconstruction will be a challenge, especially for the population, it is
feasible.

     As you can see, the research opportunity is a great one.  It is for this
reason that
I am a strong supporter of the JCCRER research effort.  In the United States,
the
Departments of Energy and Defense, the Environmental Protection Agency, the
National Aeronautics and Space Administration and the NRC are joined in the
JCCRER
effort and work has begun.  The unique research opportunities in the southern
Urals
area of Russia were repeatedly mentioned at the Seville conference.

     Research is clearly needed to better describe radiation health effects
particularly
at the low radiation levels which are the subject of regulatory effort.  In
addition to
human studies, molecular studies promise to shed further light on this
subject.  All such
research deserves your strong support.

CONCLUSIONS

     In summary, regulatory agencies are faced with the challenge of how to
translate
our current knowledge of radiation health effects into regulatory frameworks
that are
protective of workers, the public and the environment and, at the same time,
take
appropriate account of the uncertainties in that knowledge.  These
uncertainties have
lead to a controversy over whether the present approach of using the LNT to
model
radiation health effects at low doses and dose rates is appropriate for
establishing
regulatory standards for radiological protection.   At the legislative level,
different
statutory approaches to enable protection of workers, the public and the
environment
have resulted, in the United States, at least,  in a patchwork quilt of
radiological
protection requirements that often conflict with each other.  This is a
situation that does
not engender public and political confidence in our scientists and in our
policy makers.

     In the long term, the controversy underlying radiation protection
standards can
only be addressed by reducing the uncertainties in our knowledge of radiation
health
effects.    To do this requires further research into the radiation health
effects of ionizing
radiation.  Thus, strong international and national support of radiation
health effects
research will continue to be needed.

However, even when reducing the uncertainties in our knowledge of radiation
health
effects becomes a reality and ICRP recommendations are refined accordingly,
there
must be national and international commitments to harmonize radiation
protection
regulatory standards with those of the ICRP.

     I believe that these are attainable goals.  Moreover, attaining these
goals is
essential to strengthen and retain public and political confidence in our
science and in
our regulatory frameworks.

End of Speech

Gary Cartwright
gcartwright@oppd.com

Remember, every time you open your mouth to talk, your mind walks out and
parades up and down the words.
-Edwin H. Stuart