Some data on Chernobyl in the Alps

Some data concerning the Cs-137 contamination in Austria:

I found one report, which included 1 620 (one thousand six hundred twenty)
soil measurements all over Austria and I know for sure that this report
does not include all measurements done. The mean contamination was 23
kBq/m2, the minimum 0.1 kBq/m2, the maximum about 200 kBq/m2. From the
ratio of Cs-137 to Cs-134 it was derived that the remaining Cs-137 from the
atmospheric nuclear bomb tests was in 1986 still up to more than 5 kBq/m2.

These data are published, they are readily accessible for the public  and
can be obtained by anybody, who bothers to search for them. But as I
mentioned earlier, this is good scientific and laborious practice and
therefore not of interest to the media and the public.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department for Radiochemistry and Radioactivity of Food
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
AUSTRIA
tel.: +43-1-40491-520