Re: Radioactive Material Distribution

Robert Casparius wrote:

> Here is another question for Radiation Safety Officers at reseach
> institutions. How do you ensure that individuals who pick up radioactive
> material packages from the Radiation Safety Office are authorized? That is,
> how do you know they should receive the material for the Authorized User
> listed on the package? Do you have a list, ID badge, special password?

All packages mailed to Colorado State University come through Central
Receiving.  The Rad labeling is usually recognized and radioactive packages are
put aside for RCO pickup.  (CSU is currently working on a coded system attached
to the DPO number whereby when the package is scanned, it is immediately
recognized as radioactive; some packages still slip through the system).  CSU
employes a hazardous waste coordinator, who is also responsible for package
pick-up and delivery.  This person is the only one authorized by the RCO to
pick up RAM packages from Central Receiving.  The packages are then wipe tested
and delivered by our coordinator.  (He averages ~ 4 packages/day).  Best of
luck, any questions or suggestions to make our system run better would be
greatly appreciated.  Email address is below.

--
James P. Abraham