RE: Radioactive Material Distribution

Bob:

At UW all radioactive materials purchase requests are approved by the
RSO, ordered by our office and shipped to us.  We check them in, monitor
them for DOT purposes and deliver them to the labs ourselves. Our
delivery people also pick up the rad waste, so they know the lab
personnel. No ID system is required. We pay the chemical company with a
single purchase order and bill the departments for product cost plus
shipping. We don't charge any overhead. In the same way, we also bill
departments for the actual disposal costs of the waste we pick up.

Jim F. Herrold
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Wyoming
Environmental Health & Safety