RE: Accuracy of GPS with respect to surveys

     The main problem with differential GPS that we have encountered over
     many radiological surveys is that it works fine in open field sites,
     giving accuracies of a few tens of cm, but becomes more unreliable
     with even quite sparse tree cover or near buildings.

     As an alternative in such areas we use laser ranging using a standard
     surveyor's Automatic Total Station. We have packaged up our kit into a
     smalll FWD vehicle, so that we can readily switch between the DGPS and
     ATS technologies, and "position stamp" high resolution gamma spectra /
     data log count rates in real time.

     I'd be happy to discuss further by direct email.

     Martin

     Martin Phillips
     Plant & Environmental Radiological Measurements
     BNFL Magnox Generation Division
     email: m.e.phillips@magnox.co.uk