RE: Sci. Am. value for Mir radiation exposure -Reply

Good Morning,

Again, I make a plea for more careful use of the language.  Bill Lorenzen asks:
"Does the Mir have any radioactive material on it?"  The answer, of course, is:
certainly it does; all real materials are radioactive.  I presume that Bill knows that
and really is interested in something else (check sources, calibration sources,
isotopic heat sources, RTGs, activation products from space radiation, or other).
The intent of the question may be worth while, but the implication that "radioactive
materials" are somehow special or unusual is objectionable in that it exacerbates
our public relations problems.

Charlie Willis
caw@nrc.gov