RE: Bacteria in nuclear reactors

                      RE: Bacteria in nuclear reactors             5/11/98

I did my undergraduate research on DNA repair in Deinococcus radiodurans
(formerly Micrococcus radiodurans) with Alan Bruce at SUNY at Buffalo, who
studied them rather intensely at the time. I don't remember the LD50 for gamma
rays, but I think it could take a 1.0 to 1.5 megarad dose and suffer little
lethality or mutagenesis. This translated into about 100 double strand breaks
on the chromosome, as I recall. However, as has been pointed out, it would
probably not respond well to the heat and lack of food in moderator water.

Fascinating organism, though. For further reading, J.R. Battista of L.S.U. has
a nice review article in Annual Review of Microbiology, Vol. 51, p. 203, 1997,
available at your local university library.

Paul A. Wojtaszek, Ph.D.
Senior Post-Doctoral Fellow
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
Box C-281, Renal Medicine
4200 East 9th Avenue
Denver, CO 80262

303-315-6723