Re: Latex Gloves

G'day all,

Just as an aside on the latex allergy issue, some of you may have
staff who work with transilluminators. These are fairly high
intensity UV (usually UV-B) sources used as a fluorescence source in
biology (at least). Staff must protect themselves against accidental
burns when manipulating their chromatography gels or whatever by
using a face mask and cover their arms and hands (believe me, burns
do happen!).

If staff are allergic to latex, they will often use vinyl gloves as
an alternative. We did some testing and found that over a sample of
11 types of latex gloves, and 4 vinyl, the mean  UV-B transmittance
was 0.5% for latex, but 30% for vinyl. For UV-A, the values were 10%
and 70%.

This is not particularly new information, but also not widely
appreciated. Hope it is of use.

Lee Collins

Lee Collins MSc FACPSEM
Chairman, Division of Allied Health