Re: Airport X-rays & Computers

As I recall the use of memory chips for dosimeters was aimed at high LET
radiations such as proton recoils from neutron interactions and it did work.
About 20 years ago changes in solid-state memories from alphas from the
insulating substrates (ceramics) was a troublesome problem which led to
counting and selection of materials.  (This brings up another question. Since
all materials are radioactive what do we use as a generic term for the
"hazardous" radioactive materials that we deal with??)

One time I was transporting some RP instruments that were recognized by the
security techs at the airport x ray.  In the resulting conversation I learned
that they had passed their dosimeters through the x ray units many times and
that on "off hours" they rode the belt through the x ray.  I told them that
neither activity was a good idea and that I hoped they would not do it again.
Who regulates and trains these techs??

On another note.  In my HS physics class (third semester) we did special
projects.  One team had taken a pedoscope and removed the shielding and case
and ran it in the open air.  I don't recall the objective of the experiment,
but fortunately they only had it in the classroom for a one day demonstration.
I have been trying to recall their names to see if they are on the "missing"
list for the class.  I will have to make some inquiries at the next reunion.

I did not save the previous correspondence on this subject.  Could someone
repeat the dose rates at 0.5 - 2.0 meters from such a unit.  I remember that
most of the class "examined" their hands with the unit.

Ken Swinth
Consultant
2177 Cascade
Richland, WA 99352