ALARA

I would like to hear comments on the following statements, which were made
in the context of emergency response or rescue in a high radiation field.

1. The ALARA principle applies individually and collectively. It is better
to allow fewer people to be exposed to higher doses (within limits) than to
spread the dose to more people.

2. In keeping with the ALARA principle, the Incident Commander will
minimize the total number of people exposed.

Unless you feel this is of interest to the whole list, please reply to me
individually. Thanks, mike

mcnaught@lanl.gov

"Shlala gashle" (Zulu greeting, meaning "Stay safe")
mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)