Re: Lab Coats

Dear Bob:

    Regulatory Guide 8.23  page 3 section 1.5 is called "Protective and
Personal Clothing Contamination Surveys.  It says "Individuals working in
areas where a potential for skin or clothing contamination exists should be
provided with suitable protective clothing.  Laboratory coats and
protective gloves as described in Ref. ... are usually adequate for any
procedures in medical institutions."  The references for this are NCRP 37
and 48 referring to medical use, however some broad scope licensees may
have used this guide, as we did to assist in setting up our protection
program.

    Sorry I do not know of a regulation reference for lab coats.

steve hand
university of maryland
radiation safety
hand@wam.umd.edu