Re:Security and Control - A Regulation Change is Needed

I agree with Bill McCarthy that security enforcement policy is not the
final answer.  It was never intended to be.  It is what the NRC said it
would be.

They said we need to go for a policy change for fast relief, which means 6
months and 2 years; that is what happened.  They also said,  being
realistic,  a rule change would take not less than 3 years and probably a
lot longer.

Policy changes and even more so regulatory change, takes a lot of support
and effort from us to get accepted.  Having worked on this policy change, I
can say it is not easy to get assistance to put a program together.  Surely
people will offer complaints especially after something is completed, but
there were few around to assist in writing a proposal or promoting the
change.  A rule change is the right thing to do to address the issues.
However, do we, as a community, have the drive and desire to actually do it?

Joseph P. Ring, Ph.D. CHP
Harvard University
46 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA 02138-1995