RE: RAM license decommissioning plan for government facility

When I was with Idaho State University, we had the Idaho State Board of
Education commit to the NRC that in the event ISU discontinued its NRC
Broad Scope License, that money would be made available to clean up the
facility and decommission our radiation facilities.  We were in a
similar condition, we mostly used P-32, I-125, and S-85 in our research
(we held an NRC Broad Scope license)

NRC approved this approach and we were not required to write a
decommissioning plan nor were we required to post a bond.

Ken Whitham,
DOE-ID Radiological Controls Manager
whithakr@id.doe.gov
208-526-4151