Re: Dwarfing Chernobyl

I guess we all have to concede that there are deeper motivating factors
than knowledge, as knowledge alone does little to change behavior.

>Chris, You obviously are thinking of some other planet.  If you had been a
>veteran of the Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare training, you would
>know just how small an earth this really is.  Nuclear Winter can become
>global if China would join the "Mutually Assured Destruction" that an
>exchange of surface weapons launched by these two countries that have
>historically been at each other's throats for the historical reason of
>religious differences.  Amazing how we as a species have not learned
>anything.  Northern Ireland is just now hoping to resolve 20 years of
>Protestants and Catholics killing each other (and a few young brits who
>were in between them), just like Bosnia, Iran/Iraq, Christian/Muslim
>Crusaders and the list of religious conflicts goes on and on in history.
>If we upgrade the toys to nuclear, no one, Chris, will "be on the
>sidelines" but we will all suffer along with a few generations of
>survivors.
> > > Bjorn Sandstrom wrote:
>> > Pakistan's have detonated 5 underground tests to answer India's
>> > nuclear detonations of two weeks ago... --
>> Chris Hawkins wrote:
>> Now we can all sit back and see what a BRILLIANT strategy nuclear
>> deterrence and M(utually) A(ssured) D(estruction) were.
>>
>> It's nice to be on the sidelines rather than at ground zero.
>> --
>> Chris Hawkins
>> Radiation Oncology
>> Guthrie Clinic - RPH
>> Sayre, PA   18840
>> 717.882.4048/5166(fax)
>> mailto:chawkins@inet.guthrie.org
>>

>Mark Steinbuchel, CHCM
>Alternate Radiation Safety Officer
>Huntsville Hospital System
>markst@ONC.hhsys.org

Nolan E. Hertel
Professor of Nuclear Engineering and Health Physics
Director, Neely Research Center
Georgia Institute of Technology
nolan.hertel@me.gatech.edu
404-894-3717 or -3601