Re: atmospheric nuclear 'events'

Les Slaback wrote:

> Does anyone have an estimate of the Asian nuclear inventory in comparision to the inventory of atmospheric experience we already have?  The U.S. and the old U.S.S.R. set off some pretty big weapons before it all went underground.  Is there a reason why this experience is not relevent?

In a private mail, somebody mentioned an intelligence estimate of 100 devices on the subcontinent.  The experience is relevant, unless we throw in multi-megaton surface or near surface bursts.  As I said earlier, the firestorms in target cities will cause some atmospheric effects but it
is not clear just how severe the effects are.

Regards

Fritz

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.
Principal