Re: Safety Questioned at Nuclear Plant -Reply

Mr. Flory:

	Thank you for chiming in to set the record straight.  Not only did
the article quote a lawyer (strike one), but one who is part of CMEP
(strike two).  That's a little like asking a painter what he thinks about
the use of vinyl siding.

	Here we have another example of what I consider to be Nuclear
Power's biggest problem.  The public is afraid of what they don't
understand.  What little information the public gets doesn't describe the
basis for the declaration that the operation of plants has been
perceived to be unsafe.  But how does the industry correct that perception
without providing at least some technical background, and will the public
pay attention if it is given?  Is it just easier to listen to others?

T. Welty

Tim Welty/Southwest Radiation Calibration Center/Fayetteville, Arkansas
Phone: 501-575-6309/FAX: -7318/E-mail:tjw@engr.uark.edu
WWW: web.engr.uark.edu/engr/enrc/srcc.html              17/06/97