Re: Safety Questioned at Nuclear Plant -Reply

T. Welty asked the following:

> But how does the industry correct that perception
> without providing at least some technical background, and will the public
> pay attention if it is given?  Is it just easier to listen to others?

1. The public generally is not interested in the technical background
2. For all practical purposes, their minds have been made up.
3. The public generally does NOT believe anyone associated in the nuclear
    world
4. This perception was fostered back in the 50's with all of the science fiction
    movies that bombarded them every weekend at the movies. It is a
    perception that has become reality to the general public.
5. Many efforts have been put forth to provide educational tools to help inform
    the public on the real issues. This has failed for the majority, but has helped
    a limited forum of individuals.
6. One need not look at the general public to determine the seriousness of the
    perceptions of nuclear issues versus the reality. Just look at the politicians
    in the Senate and House. These are not ignorant individuals. They fear
    nuclear as much as the public. Some of their antics may be pandering to
    their constituents, but not all of them are doing this. There is a definite fear
    of nuclear issues.
7.  To turn this fear and false perceptions around, we need to focus on the
     youth of today (kindergarten and up). We need to accept the fact that it will
     take a generation to correct, if at all.

The real question is .. will nuclear survive until the public does accept the
technology. I am not optimistic. I don't see a positive nuclear agenda within the
next 5 years.  I hope I am wrong.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3111

sandyfl@earthlink.net
sperle@icnpharm.com

ICN Dosimetry Website:
http://www.dosimetry.com

Personal Website:

              - G. K. Chesterton -

The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer