Re: Safety Questioned at Nuclear Plant -Reply -Reply

In
 "Sandy Perle" 's   > 06/02/98 11:59am>>> reply to
T. Welty where the question asked
 But how does the industry correct that perception without providing at least
some technical background, and will the public
 pay attention if it is given?  Is it just easier to listen to others?

7.  To turn this fear and false perceptions around, we need to focus on the
youth of today (kindergarten and up). We need to accept the fact that it will
take a generation to correct, if at all.
The real question is .. will nuclear survive until the public does accept the
technology. I am not optimistic. I don't see a positive nuclear agenda within
the next 5 years.  I hope I am wrong.

******
I am not sure what impact the effort we are doing here at Millstone Nuclear
Power Station will have on the perceptions held by the general adult population
in our area. But this past weekend we were able to reach twenty some when they
brought their Girls Scout Brownies and Juniors Troops onto the owner controlled
site for presentations in "Communications, Safety, Energy and Environmental
Impact". We also included sessions in a Nuclear Power Plant Simulator Control
Room with a couple of simulated drills. Environmental Impact also had a short
workshop in the nearby tidal flats and a specimen touch tank. Security included
 fingerprinting, taking a mug shot and creating an electronic badge for each of
the Scouts. Health Physic used some local quarry specimens, Fiesta ware and
Salt Substitutes to show where Radioactive Material can enter their environment
and how it can be detected. We then used some radio controlled instruments to
show both the Scouts, their leaders and a few parents in attendance how we
train technicians on the techniques necessary to locate and identify the
radioactive material present.
A quick survey at the end of the day indicated that each program was rated the
best by at least two or more survey responders.
The thirty two VOLUNTEERS that showed up to put the program on for the Scouts
felt that their Saturday was well spent.

Jim Bennett
benneje@gwsmtp.nu.com
ph  860-437-2844
fax 860-437-2748