Re: Emergency Doses Allowed

> I don't
> believe that the NRC intended for the planned special exposure
> provisions and limits to be used for emergencies, either.

The Planned Special Exposure does take into account any exposures due to accidents. See below:

§ 20.1201 Occupational dose limits for adults.

(a) The licensee shall control the occupational dose to individual adults, except for planned special exposures under §
20.1206, to the following dose limits.

(b) Doses received in excess of the annual limits, including doses received during accidents, emergencies, and planned
special exposures, must be subtracted from the limits for planned special exposures that the individual may receive during
the current year (see § 20.1206(e)(1)) and during the individual's lifetime (see § 20.1206(e)(2)).

------------------ Sandy Perle Technical Director ICN Dosimetry Division Costa Mesa, CA 92626 Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306 Fax: (714) 668-3111
sandyfl@earthlink.net sperle@icnpharm.com
ICN Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205
"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to close it again on something solid" - G. K. Chesterton -
The opinions expressed are solely, absolutely, positively, definitely those of the author, and NOT my employer