Re: monitoring for tritium

NCRP 87 suggests that if the one-month time-weighted avg. is <10% of the maximum
permissible concentration (MPC) or the Derived Air Concentration (DAC), and if
the largest result used in the calculation of the average is <30% of the MPC or
DAC, only a subset of the persons exposed need to be tested (at least 10% if 100
or more workers, at least 10 for between 10 and 100 workers, all of less than 10
workers).  If levels are much higher than the above, all should be tested
regularly.  For supervisors/infrequently exposed persons, they should be tested
occasionally.

I believe there are some ICRP documents that deal with this subject as well.
This was just an overview, the details may also be important in your case.

Stuart Prosser wrote:

> ...Can you please give me an indication of at what levels of activity of
> tritium it would be prudent to recommend urinalysis.

---

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
schwahn@jlab.org